Monogram Wreath with Felt Flowers

4/4/11

After seeing this monogram wreath on Li'l Luna, I decided that I wanted to have something similar on my front door.  However, I wanted something a little different.  Lately I've been drooling over all the felt flower wreaths that I've been seeing, so I thought I would incorporate the two to create the perfect front door wreath for my house.

Here is what I did.
Step #1- Take a wooden letter and either paint it, or cover it with scrapbook paper.  I had this letter H sitting on a shelf in my living room and decided it was ready for a makeover.  I had originally painted it black, but for this project I wanted to spice it up a bit.  I went with this amazing polka dot paper that I found at Hobby Lobby.
Step #2-  If you're going to cover your letter with paper you'll need to trace it on the back side of the paper, cut it out, and then use Mod Podge to secure it onto the letter.  I also did a few layers of Mod Podge over the top since it will be hanging outside.
Step #3-  Make a ton of felt flowers for your wreath.  I followed Karena's tutorial to create the tight spiral flowers.  It's hard to tell in these pictures, but some of them were cut with a squiggly spiral and others were done with just a straight spiral.  For the large 5 petal flowers, I simply cut out a strip of felt and scalloped on edge with large 1 inch scallops.  Then I stitched across the bottom and pulled it together tightly.  This will form the large flower shape.

Step #4- Once you have all of your flowers made start placing them onto your wreath with a hot glue.  The more clumped together they are the better.  This gives your wreath a lot of depth and texture.  After everything was glued in place I went through and added some beads and buttons to give it some extra texture and pop.  I'm so happy with the overall look and  I simply adore the colors I went with.  Now all I have to do is hang it out on my door to greet friends and family.






The DIY Show Off


BWS tips button
Making Monday Marvelous Linky Party

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...