Toddler Sundress (Mumu Style)

5/18/11


This adorable little girl of mine just turned two and I figured that this particular milestone called for a brand new dress.  Actually, I just used the birthday as an excuse to sew something fun and girly.  Kind of nice how it works out that way sometimes.

I followed this tutorial and again, made some of my own variations.  I decided not to add a waist band and keep it loose...like a mumu.  I also added the lime green bands to the sleeves and a coordinating band to the bottom of the dress.  I love how it turned out!  I love the bright colors, the large flowers, and the overall look of it. 

I also love the cost.  Yep, I spent next to nothing making this.  Do you want to know how much I spent?  Okay, I'll tell you.  This little number only cost me a grand total of $2.45, and with a price like that I couldn't make just one.
(You can tell what a big personality this little one has!)

Here is how I saved: 

First of all, I never pass up an opportunity to sneak into my local Hancock Fabric.  They have a large scrap fabric bin that I love to dig through.  You can really find some fun fabrics if you're consistent and as obsessed about finding a good deal as I am.  I found the floral fabric (1 yard of it) in their scrap bin.  Normally their scraps are $2.95/yard.  Luckily, the day I went in their scraps were marked down a dollar.  So, I only spent...
This strip (which was used on the sleeves and was only 6 inches wide) was found in the scrap bin and only cost me...
Originally I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for the bottom of the dress and was thinking of doing a small underskirt.  I obviously didn't go that route, but to be safe I bought 1/2 yard of this fabric which was only 40% off  (still a good deal, but the priciest piece of fabric.)

So, all in all these two dresses cost me less than $5.00 to make.  Money well spent in my opinion!  And it made for one happy birthday girl and cute little sidekick.

1 comment:

Deborah Raymond said...

Very cute! These will be so nice for Summer. I miss sewing for little girls. Mine are growing up so fast!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...