This adorable little girl of mine just turned two and I figured that this particular milestone called for a brand new dress. Actually, I just used the birthday as an excuse to sew something fun and girly. Kind of nice how it works out that way sometimes.
I followed this tutorial and again, made some of my own variations. I decided not to add a waist band and keep it loose...like a mumu. I also added the lime green bands to the sleeves and a coordinating band to the bottom of the dress. I love how it turned out! I love the bright colors, the large flowers, and the overall look of it.
I also love the cost. Yep, I spent next to nothing making this. Do you want to know how much I spent? Okay, I'll tell you. This little number only cost me a grand total of $2.45, and with a price like that I couldn't make just one.
(You can tell what a big personality this little one has!)
Here is how I saved:
First of all, I never pass up an opportunity to sneak into my local Hancock Fabric. They have a large scrap fabric bin that I love to dig through. You can really find some fun fabrics if you're consistent and as obsessed about finding a good deal as I am. I found the floral fabric (1 yard of it) in their scrap bin. Normally their scraps are $2.95/yard. Luckily, the day I went in their scraps were marked down a dollar. So, I only spent...
This strip (which was used on the sleeves and was only 6 inches wide) was found in the scrap bin and only cost me...
Originally I wasn't sure what I wanted to do for the bottom of the dress and was thinking of doing a small underskirt. I obviously didn't go that route, but to be safe I bought 1/2 yard of this fabric which was only 40% off (still a good deal, but the priciest piece of fabric.)
So, all in all these two dresses cost me less than $5.00 to make. Money well spent in my opinion! And it made for one happy birthday girl and cute little sidekick.