Chalkboard Table

9/26/11

Do you have an old coffee table, train table, nightstand, etc that you don't know what to do with?  Well, I turned mine into a chalkboard table.

After I finished my Chalkboard Art, my kids wanted to draw on them (not that I was surprised).  I had plenty of leftover chalkboard paint and an Ikea children's table that I didn't know what to do with.  The kids rarely used the table and I had even thought of getting rid of it.  I'm glad that I didn't!

You need:
Chalkboard Paint (I tried the spay paint and hated it...get the can of paint instead)
Smooth Sponge Brush or Roller.
Painters Tape
Sandpaper
Chalk (I used sidewalk chalk)
and, of course, some sort of surface that you want to be chalkboard

I wanted to make a white border so I didn't sand the entire top.
I used the Painter's Tape to create a border.
Then I sanded the exposed area.
When painting, keep it as smooth as possible. Put on 3 or more coats.  Let it dry between each coat.
Wait for it to be completely dry, then peel away the tape at an angle.
IMPORTANT - Let it sit for 2-3 days.
You MUST condition the blackboard first by running chalk over the entire surface.
Wipe it down.
Now it's ready for writing!
 Not only was this fun for the kids, but it was basically free.  I had the useless table, the paint,  the sidewalk chalk, and all the supplies on hand!  You can't beat free.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Isn't it great for kids who loves to draw on walls and any part of the house. What a wonderful idea to change the mind of a kid from making drawings to walls to putting it on this chalkboard table.

Cheap Insulation

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...