Play Dough

1/30/11

My boys L.O.V.E. play dough!!! They could play with it every day! But buying it get expensive and truly... it stinks!! So I make my own and adding a bit of cinnamon changes everything!

2 cups flour
2 cups water
1 cup salt
2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon cream of tarter {optional for improved elasticity}

Put everything in a pot on medium heat and stir away. When it has pulled away from the side of the pot dump it out on the counter and let it sit for about 10 minutes and let it cool. Once you can handle it knead it until it's smooth.

As you knead it you'll smell the cinnamon instead of the yucky play dough smell.

Now if you want to add color you can. Before you start kneading it make a little indent and put a few drops in there and knead it until it's mixed in completely. Repeat as needed to get the desired color. {if you have added the cinnamon, it will look darker}

Instead of cinnamon you can ad scented oils.

I like making the play dough for the boys. We go through so much of it so it's nice not spending an arm and a leg for it. It makes a TON and it is editable. Not that they will want to because it's so salty. But if they take a nibble no harm done.

1 comment:

Vyedka said...

I had never made homemade play dough before and so I made this recipe tonight for FHE and it was so easy and my kids LOVED it! For our family night activity we all created something out of the Play dough that "makes us happy." It was fun! Thanks for the recipe! oh and I love the cinnamon idea!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...